Make or Buy an IIoT platform?
While the value of IIoT is clear, it is still not widely adopted. The World Economic Forum reported in 2017 that 85% of potential IIoT assets remain unconnected. This number of disconnected assets can be attributed to security and interoperability concerns. By finding the proper IIoT platform, you can overcome these challenges.
Your initial steps will be evaluating whether to build your IIoT platform or to buy one
To inform this make vs buy decision, answer these questions:
- What resources do you have available to build the platform?
- How can you accelerate from proof-of-concept to time to value and quickly build a competitive advantage?
- How will you remain flexible enough to innovate in the future?
- How do you quickly establish connectivity across new and existing industrial assets?
- How can you ensure support for open standards and avoid getting locked into one vendor?
- Do you know what is needed in an IIoT platform to support closed-loop digital twin solutions?
For a better understanding of tradeoffs between a build-your-own and pre-built IIoT platform, check this white paper by Microsoft and Siemens.
This video is part of a lead generation campaign sponsored by Siemens USA.