Is distributed generation a threat or an opportunity?
Almost 60 percent of utility executives in 20 countries rank distributed generation as the biggest disrupter to their operations, according to a survey by Accenture, the global services company. Distributed generation, the executives predict, will reduce their revenues, increase grid faults and erode their business models.
But is distributed generation a threat or an opportunity? Virtual power plants, also known as virtual power pools, are a proven way to harness the advantages of multi-unit distributed generation. They do so across an impressive range of applications which enable:
– utilities and distributed energy companies to integrate, optimize, and trade production
– municipal utilities to balance production with consumption using day-ahead planing
– microgrids to integrate more renewables to minimize their use of fossil fuels
– industries to cut their energy costs by up to 10% without impacting production
– conventional multi-unit power plants to optimize production
Fill out this form to access your free copy of “Virtual power plants” white paper written by ABB.